TESTIMONY TO AN 18 YEAR RELATIONSHIP
In 2001, Phill – Kemosabe’s Creative Director and Founding Partner – pitched to work with ANA, Japan’s largest 5-Star airline. Fast forward 18 years and the relationship with Phill and the team is stronger than ever.
With all eyes on Japan for the 2019 Rugby World Cup and 2020 Olympics, as well as an increase in tourism of over 250% in the last 10 years, we needed to secure ANA as the first choice for travellers flying to Japan.
No matter how good the product is, an airline can’t persuade travellers to visit a destination based purely on their superior service – even if it is 5-Star! We had to reveal ANA as intrinsically Japanese.
We launched ‘We Are Japan’ – a cross platform, destination driven strategy to highlight the authentic Japanese trends, traditions and secrets that only the locals know. This involved a whole new brand positioning, look and feel, tone of voice and targeting of key audiences, with year-round work across twelve different languages.
Sky High Campaigns
By selling the true Japan as a destination to the luxury leisure market, we’ve made ANA the authentic voice of the nation.
Our inch-wide mile deep strategy sits at the centre of everything we do for ANA, even at 30,000 ft. We've worked on epic sized billboards, airport takeovers, new route launches and everything in between, covering all aspects of ANA’s EMEA marketing: online, off-line, above-the-line, below-the-line, exhibitions, press, events, PR, social, print, digital, photography, film, and more.
- We’ve increased EMEA routes to Japan from 1 to 8.
- The number of years we’ve been in a relationship with ANA – Phill 18 years, Rebecca 9 years, Omar 8 years and Charlotte 6 years!
- The number of global rebrands we've worked on.
- ANA’s first creative agency to win awards for the work produced.
- ANA is growing four times faster internationally than their main competitor.
- Kemosabe played an integral role in ANA’s global positioning.
- Increase in European passengers since 2018.
- Increase in total revenue in the last year.
For the last two years you have tirelessly helped me establish We Are Japan and made it come alive literally in everything we doNanako Murakami, EMEA Marketing & PR Manager at ANA
Kemosabe curate and manage ANA’s We Are Japan content hub across three different languages, flying to Japan to discover new stories and create a hidden gem guide to all there is to EAT, DRINK, SEE, STAY, DO, DISCOVER and GO.
With our in-house specialist knowledge, we produce content on behalf of ANA, talking to our audience in a truly authentic and informal way – engaging and driving them through to ANA’s booking site.
- A global first for Tumblr – ANA saw a 170% engagement rate per impression on our sponsored content, with a huge number of new followers within just 24 hours.
- We’ve published 1,117 pieces of content to date… and counting.
- Our latest content campaign saw six times more audience engagement than previous campaigns.
- Our UK Tumblr Sponsored Day resulted in a 120% over-delivery of impressions – 1,864,074 within 24 hours.
After 18 months of working closely with Tumblr, it was wonderful to trial the new Tumblr Sponsored Day product, which gathered millions of impressions worldwide and over-achieved on our key KPIs.Nanako Murakami, EMEA Marketing & PR Manager at ANA
We also curate, shoot, direct, produce and score films for ANA. These range from promotional material, products and services, social media content, CNN’s Great Big Stories, the Six Nations Rugby and much, much more.
Kemosabe regularly places teams on the ground in Japan in search of hidden cultural gems and trends. From there we interview, film and generate finished content that's used across all platforms.
As well as creating, building and managing numbers of events for ANA, Kemosabe has created the assets for over 50 other events and trade shows during the past three years. This doesn't take into account the other 15 years of our relationship. We’ve kinda lost count.
Event Locations: London, Barcelona, Brussels, Dusseldorf, Dublin, Frankfurt, Geneva, Ibiza, Munich, Paris, Rome & Vienna.
Kemosabe has created and built a bespoke Creative and PR Portal for ANA. Used by over 25 ANA staff across 9 regions in EMEA, daily.
The Creative Portal is the home for all TTL assets and is where all creative briefs are sent. The PR portal hosts all assets and press releases for journalists, allowing us to easily and regularly collaborate with ANA's global PR agency.