When Butlin’s opened the doors to its £40 million swimming pool at the Bognor Regis resort, it heralded a new era for the celebrated British hospitality brand. As the first major step in the company’s five year transformation plan, the pool’s launch was central to taking the Butlin’s experience to a whole new level.
The iconic family break provider partnered with MSL to engage with media and influencers to launch the opening of the seaside themed swimming pool, Splash. Featuring seaside inspired attractions including the world’s first water Helter Skelter and family-friendly changing rooms designed with the help of parents on Mumsnet.
Guests, media and the local community were treated to a stunning themed light show where the pool’s exhilarating indoor features were brought to life on the outside of the Art Deco building. Over 30,000 fans tuned in to watch the projection show which was streamed on Facebook Live.
MSL defined the communications strategy and brought together consumer, corporate and creative talent from across the agency to drive awareness and excitement among travel, business and consumer lifestyle media. From inviting lead influencer Stacey Solomon to elevating Butlin’s CEO Jon Hendry-Pickup’s profile with business media. MSL secured visits and social media coverage from Romesh Ranganathan and Alison Hammond plus interviews with Jacquie Butlin, Sir Billy Butlin’s daughter.
The launch of Splash has far surpassed our expectations.Andrew French, Head of PR, Butlin’s
- pieces of coverage - largely across tier one national titles
- broadcast interviews – including Ian King Live, Sky News and This Morning
- People reached via Facebook Live broadcast of light show
- increase in engagement rates with launch content on Facebook
- ROI from @TheUnmumsyMum influencer partnership via online bookings
- of bookings via @TheUnmumsyMum were from new guests
- impressions of paid social content
- increase in YoY visits to the Butlin’s website from social channels throughout launch campaign
Making a splash for the great British holiday
As the first major step in the company’s five year transformation plan, we helped Butlins launch their £40million pool, central to raising awareness of the all-new Butlin’s experience, while also forcing reconsideration of the brand for those seeking British family holidays.