Canagan, the British grain-free pet food brand, had been focusing on company growth through a strategy of supplying independent bricks-and-mortar pet food stores. In an increasingly competitive market, Canagan wanted to shift their marketing focus from targeting high street retailers to direct to consumer.
So, the brief was to increase awareness and sales amongst pet owners themselves - either through instore sales and more importantly, by buying directly from Canagan’s new website.
We developed a digital PR strategy to increase the authority of the brand in the eyes of pet owners, and Google. Our PR (offsite) stories and owned (onsite) content gave journalists a ‘reason to link’ back to Canagan’s site.
This required us to build their onsite blog which focused on pet behaviour, health and wellbeing, and nutrition - giving advice built around topics pet owners are already Googling, making it useful and easy to find.
WHAT WE DID
After identifying a narrative of ‘Answer the Call of the Wild’, bi-weekly features were uploaded to the blog and shared with digital media to achieve press coverage, such as ‘Is BBQ Food Dangerous for Dogs’ and ‘Running with Your Dog – Top Tips and Benefits’. Throughout the period we monitored pieces of coverage and unique referring domains from digital PR coverage, and reviewed blog performance and key word rankings for the website.
The project goals included:
- To secure digital PR coverage for the brand, with backlinks to the website
- To increase organic traffic to targeted areas of the site including dog food landing pages and the blog
- To improve target keyword ranking positions in search
The results achieved after the first 6-months of the strategy implementation included:
- 34% increase in organic traffic for dog food, YoY
- 48% increase in number of keywords ranked for
- 224 total pieces of coverage
- 215 links achieved on unique referring domains
- Over 3,000 blog views with engagement metrics well above the site average (I.e. time on site, bounce rate, pages per visit)
Canagan - Digital PR
Canagan had been focusing on company growth through a strategy of supplying independent bricks-and-mortar pet food stores. In an increasingly competitive market, Canagan wanted to shift their marketing focus from targeting high street retailers to direct to consumer.